Wednesday, October 31, 2012

World Famous Monsters


     There are things that remain in your memory with a sense of joy. Think of your favorite toy from your childhood, best field trip, birthday party with friends, first pet you had, and so on. While some of the events are impossible to repeat in exactly same way you did before, reading your favorite book could offer you a chance to feel the similar sentiment every time you pick up and read the book.

     On the other hand, you may agree that going through the same contents after few years give you different thoughts on them. For instance, at my age 5, Sailor Moon was the best art piece I could proudly name; now, I can see many flaws in the storyline that makes me laugh. (The protagonist looks almost the same from her normal daily appearance even after the transformation but the enemy would never recognize her, hilarious!) I still think the animation was fair enough, but now I can observe the same work from the different perspective of view. This kind of process is possible because new experiences influence previous opinion on the subject matter.

     The improvement of the subject matter itself may also change your thoughts on it. Simply, you get amazed or disappointed at the change. This, however, does not “seem” to take place often, because there are limited number of forms that can actually show these contents have improved. What do you suppose the enhanced form of a certain movie would be? It might be a sequel in the form of a remake or vice versa; it may change the platform of the story, such as a book. Sadly, I have seen people recommending good movies that depicted the story of the original novel in sound quality but vice versa, not many. Sequels are not so successful all the time. Disney’s sequels for the most of the cases did not carry the drama I felt in the ‘first’ movies.

     Assume that we can clearly sense the change on certain piece of work; will it be able to attract both the original and new fans?

     Let me introduce my blog topic at this point. Can you recognize the little thing  in this picture?


Pikachu![1]

Mates, you have seen this one and its fellow creatures via game, animation, comic books, movie, cards, stickers, fluffy dolls, and in many other forms. From 1996, since the first appearance in the world through game, their name has been one of the most renowned words. I chose Pokémon, or Pocket Monster and reasons for its continued popularity as my blog topic. The popularity of this thing is surely undoubted. Even my Microsoft Words corrected misspells for Pikachu automatically just now!

     When I was in elementary school, Korean television channels broadcasted two animations that almost every Korean around my age can feel nostalgia when they hear those titles: Digimon and Pokémon. Both were super popular, and kids would talk about their favorite monsters or what happened in yesterday’s episode so cheerfully. The stationary in front of my school would stock the merchandise with Pokémon or Digimon pictures on them, and kids searched the pile of goods to find the one with the picture of the favorite character on it. However, while Pokémon series are still producing new animations, movies, games and many more, Digimon has gone below the surface. What made such difference?

     The series of postings I will write will include my game experiences. It may also include drawings or photos both presented by me. It will be mentioned in later postings but I am a classic Pokémon game player and, ironically, a new fan of this series. One more: I am an amateur gamer, and I believe such status would allow me to approach this topic in rather understandable manner to dear readers whom I assume would not welcome a review by the hardcore game nerd. After all, it will be about ‘why Pokémon is so famous’, not ‘why Pokémon games are so interesting'.


Sophie



Picture retrieved from


[1] Art work done by Ken Sugimori, the official image of #025 Pikachu, introduced in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen(2005).


No comments:

Post a Comment